Local travel involving one-on-one situations between an athlete and an unrelated adult is a high-risk situation. The goal of these guidelines is to prevent athletes from routinely spending time alone with other adults.
Tips to Consider
- Plan an early team social event so that families from the same neighborhood can meet one another and discuss travel arrangements.
- Create team directories, neighborhood maps and sign-up sheets to help parents arrange their own carpools.
- Provide parents with the club's central phone number or coach's cell phone number in case of emergency or delay.
- Provide the coach with parents' cell numbers as well as a list of back-up contacts for alternate transportation for each athlete in the event that practice ends early.
- Notify parents and athletes of schedule changes as soon as possible so that they can arrange alternative transportation if needed.
- Ask parents to notify the organization when their transportation plan changes, such as when a child rides home with a different teammate.
Courtesy of the United States Olympic Committee